For week five of our 24 Hours That Changed the World Lenten spiritual experience, Pastor Tim provided this prayer guide insert for the bulletin.
PVUMC Lenten Discernment Prayer Guide Week 5 – Life Giving
Day 1, Read John 10:10
- In what ways has the thief (Satan) tried to steal, kill or destroy your life? (Relationships, children, job loss, depression, addiction, etc.)
- In what ways has Jesus given life in these areas?
- Pray for God to send New Life to the areas that Satan has tried to steal or destroy.
- List each of the areas and the names involved and lift them up to God.
Day 2, Read John 3:16
- Thank God for sending His Son to give us eternal life.
- Pray for folks you know who need to know the eternal life that this verse speaks of.
- Pray for God to lead us to reach out to them and share the good news.
Day 3, Read John 1-44
- At what times did you feel like Jesus was too late? How did you react?
- In what ways did Jesus show up even if the timing or the way he showed up was not how you wanted?
- Ask God to help you wait even when it is hard to do so.
- Ask God to open your eyes to the signs of resurrection power even in the midst of hard times.
Day 4, Read Acts 2:40-47
- In what ways do you see these signs of life at Pine Valley United Methodist Church?
- In what ways are we improving in these areas? Can these be accomplished on our current campus?
- Ask God to help us make this campus a place of hope and a life giving station.
- Ask God to direct us on how to maximize our current campus’s potential.
- Ask God to direct us toward people we are not currently reaching so we may show them the path to eternal life.
Day 5, Read Acts 3:1-10
- In what ways do people in our congregation need healing? What do have to offer them?
- In what ways do the people in our community need healing? What do we as a church have to offer?
- Ask God to open our eyes to hurting people in our church.
- Ask God to open our eyes to hurting people outside our church.
- Ask God to help us find ways to see them and reach them.
Day 6, Read Acts 5:12-16
- Reread the passage and notice the amount of healing that was going on.
- Think about the church now and how that may have changed? Why?
- Pray that God restores the life giving ministry of healing to the church.
- Pray that God will draw people to that life giving, healing ministry.
Day 7, Read Romans 6:23
- If sin deserves death, then how do we receive the gift of eternal life?
- Thank God for grace that gives us the gift of eternal life.
- Ask for God’s forgiveness for your sins and receive that eternal life.
- Affirm to God that you believe and receive that life that He freely gives.
- Ask God to help you share that good news with someone else this coming week.