For week three of our 24 Hours That Changed the World Lenten spiritual experience, Pastor Trish had this prayer guide insert for the bulletin.
PVUMC Lenten Discernment Prayer Guide Week 3 – Forgiveness
Day 1 – Read Psalm 103:8-12 – The Heart of God
- Re-read vs. 8 – Thank God for the love, grace and mercy that He offers to each of us.
- Re-read vs. 11 – Thank God that He does not repay us according to our sin.
- Re-read vs. 12 – Thank God that He removes our sin as far as the east is from the west.
Day 2 – Read John 8:1-11 – Story of the Forgiven Woman
- Re-read vs. 4 – Ask God to forgive the sin in which we are “caught”.
- Thank God for His forgiveness of that sin.
- Ask God to forgive us whenever we have pointed fingers at others.
Day 3 – Read Luke 15:11-24 – Story of the Forgiven Son
- Ask God to forgive us when we run from Him.
- Thank God for His forgiveness no matter how far we’ve run.
- Thank God for receiving us back into His open arms.
Day 4 – Read Psalm 51:1-3, 10-12 – Prayer of Confession
- Thank God for His mercy that completely and thoroughly cleanses you from your sin.
- Ask God to give you a clean heart.
- Ask God to give you a willing spirit.
Day 5 – Read 1 John 1:5-10 – Forgiving Self
- Ask God to examine your life and show you areas that need His forgiveness.
- Ask God to forgive those sins.
- Re-read vs. 9 and believe that God has forgiven you.
- Ask God to help you to forgive yourself.
Day 6 – Read Ephesians 4:31-5:2 – Forgiving Others
- Ask God to show you any bitterness or resentment that you hold against someone.
- Ask God for the strength to forgive this person.
- Ask God for the strength to live in love with all people.
Day 7 – Read Colossians 3:12-15 – Practicing Forgiveness in Community
- Re-read vs. 12 – Ask God to give you a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, meekness and patience.
- Re-read vs. 13 – Ask God to help you forgive others as He has forgiven you.
- Re-read vs. 14 – Ask God to fill your heart with love that binds us to all people.
- Re-read vs. 15 – Ask God to fill your heart with peace and to live in loving community with all people.